Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Thing #1, Lifelong Learning and Learning 2.0

I watched the video titled "7 1/2 Habits of Lifelong Learners" and it was very interesting, it reminded me of the book titled, "The 7 Habits of Highly Successful People" published way back in 1990.

The easiest of the habits for me would be Habit #7, Teach and Mentor Others. I feel this way since I have been doing just that for 18 of my 20 years in the US Army. I was a Non-Commissioned Officer and it was my job to train soldiers. I am confident that this will be a smooth transition from teaching and mentoring soldiers to teaching and mentoring students in the classroom.

The hardest of the habits for me would be Habit #6, Use Technology to your Advantage. I am not scared of technology, but I have seen what happens to people who rely heavily on technology only to see the technology fail and those people did not have a back-up plan. Computers get viruses, files get lost, the projector may be broke, or we may lose power in the building and then we are stuck wondering what to do. Technology is a wonderful tool, but I feel it is necessary to always have a back-up plan in case your technology fails you.

Thanks for reading,
John P Collins

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you will be able to keep those students straight (lol)! I'm really glad you also addressed the fact that teachers need to have a back up plan because this is so true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with you about technology failing you. In my previous career, we have several instances in which we experienced equipment/computer failure and had to use "old school" methods to finish the task. Also, your military experience should serve you well in teaching discipline and focus to students that might not otherwise have any.

    ReplyDelete

Mr. Collins Avatar