Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Thing #11, Finding Good Feeds


I found the Google Reader search engine for finding feeds the easiest to use. I can filter by search words, have it not include feeds by not including other words. So I can search for keywords "TN Middle School Math" since that will be my subject, grade level, and location.

I clicked on some of the links posted and they weren't even RSS feeds. One link took me to the IPhone Camera App from the Cool Cat Teacher page. I was confused. I also looked at others but realized that since I have a Google Account, why not just use the Google RSS Feed Search engine.

I found 5 useful feeds that are listed in Thing #10. I don't know if we were supposed to find more. I made the mistake of subscribing to a newspaper and was bombarded with over 150 in one day. Make sure you read the actual title of what you are subscribing too. Just because USA Today printed an article about a successful "TN Middle School Math" teacher does not mean you want to be fed by USA today! It was very strange and unusual as I scrolled through my feeds reading about Money, International Political Issues, and Entertainment News from USA when all I did was click feed regarding the article I wanted. Lesson learned. HINT: look at the bottom right of feed and see how many posts they do per day / week. Choose wisely.

As stated earlier, I don't see the need to find or use other tools when I have my Google account. There are many different search tools on the internet you can use to locate newsfeeds and they want your clicks.

One final note, I encourage you to find a feed in something that interests you that is not school related. I learned from Ultimate Fighting Championship that on Saturday Night there was a "Fastest Knock-Out" in the history of the UFC. That peaked my interest and swayed me over to YouTube / UFC site to watch the clip. It was FAST!

Thanks for reading,
John P. Collins

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like we had a similar experience with this "thing". I was a little confused by the whole process. Using technology in this way is a completely foreign experience for me. I did find some interesting feeds that were not necessarily related to what I plan to teach, but were nonetheless educational. I don't know if you have any interest in astronomy, but my favorite was Universe Today. They have all sorts of interesting stuff. http://www.universetoday.com/

    ReplyDelete

Mr. Collins Avatar